Ahh, and just like that, I’m officially 29. Today, I’m entering the last year of my twenties with a good-vibes-only attitude, a full glass of wine (later tonight), and a solid plan for how I’m going to make my next year, the best year. Though there are plenty of great times to reflect throughout the year, I think birthdays are the perfect time. It’s an amazing thing if you think about it, you’ve completed another circle around the sun, survived & thrived another year on this Earth, and became that much wiser/experienced/older.
When I reflect I like to think about what I was doing, thinking, stressing about, and feeling excited about at this very moment last year. And then I like to think about everything I wanted to do that I did, things that didn’t quite work out or got pushed out, and all of the surprises along the way. What or who I’ve said goodbye to, as well as the new faces or opportunities I’ve said hi to. Hope you don’t mind the rhyme there!
In addition to everything that I did in the past year, I like to think about everything that I saw and everything that I learned along the way! I see my life as one grand adventure, some days more than others, but it’s my goal to make each day count. I’ll have to thank Jack Dawson for that one, but I’m sorry, when Titanic was in theaters, I saw it 5 times. And about a million times since then. But that toast encompasses how I want to live my life. Every day counts. Every day is purposeful and special, and of the last 365 days, I can truly say that I made them count.
Here’s a few things that I did, saw, and learned after I turned 28, but before I turned 29…
- Road-tripped to Indianapolis for mine and Jeff’s annual road trip to the ABCA for his business! Also, got my state capitol pic in Indy!
- Bachelorette-partied in Chicago and Dallas with some of the most beautiful, fun, and awesome women I know!
- Traveled to San Francisco twice, including doing a big presentation in front of 100’s of people and being mic’ed for the first time!
- Learned about Book of the Month Club & started reading (a lot) again!
- Read a number of books for fun (The Wife Between Us, Then She Was Gone, etc.) and for personal growth (You Are A Badass, Yes Please, etc.)
- Saw Kendrick Lamar, Beyonce, Jay-Z, DJ Khaled, Marshmello, Dave Matthews Band, Louis the Child, and Steve Aoki in concert!
- Traveled to New York City, walked on the Brooklyn Bridge, and spent some time popping around the shops in Soho!
- Made some financial moves that allowed me to pay off my car loan early! Only a few months, but hey, life without that monthly payment is feeling pretty good!
- Got promoted at work! Added the word “Senior” to my title, but hey, that’s something!
- Learned about the Gals That Brunch community, became the City Leader in Milwaukee, and so far have planned 7 brunches! Soon to be 8!
- Visited Boston & took my state capitol pic in front of the Massachusetts State House!
- Joined 3 Blogger Collab Days where I met some AMAZING women in my city, shared some laughs, and got some awesome photos for my social media/blog!
- Traveled to Portland, OR for the first time! Sampled a ridiculous amount of beers, went hiking that ended up at the Pacific Ocean, and had a blast visiting my brother and his girlfriend!
- Attended 3 weddings for some awesome couples with my favorite person by my side! And I’ve got one more for this season tomorrow!
- Began a training program with a personal trainer, because trying to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle is HARD!
- Traveled to Nashville (again) to celebrate my big brother’s 30th birthday with all 4 of my brothers, my love, 1 of my sister-in-laws, my dad, my aunt and uncle, and a few friends! We were new-boot-goofing all over that city!
- Paid off one of my student loans – still a few more to go, but it’s about celebrating the little victories people!
- Visited Minneapolis (again) and got my state capitol pic!
- Met Giannis in person. Oh em gee.
- Road-tripped overnight to Omaha, NE for the College World Series! Also, stopped in Des Moines along the way for my state capitol pic at 5:00am!
- Celebrated my 6th Anniversary with my best friend and the love of my life! Cheers to another great year!
- Attended my first High School Class Reunion – my 10 year, because we couldn’t make it to the 5 year!
- Booked my first solo photoshoot with a professional photographer for photos for my social media and blog!
- Trained for my second half marathon and ran it last weekend! Already planning for my next one in Spring 2019!
- Saw Justin Timberlake in concert for the second time at the new Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee!
- Learned Modern Calligraphy (twice) thanks to Hand Lettering by Natalie!
- Attended my first ever Brewers playoff game at Miller Park! And they’re still winning, let’s go Brewers!
- Learned the basics of pole dancing during the bachelorette party in Dallas! I didn’t quite excel, not enough upper body strength apparently!
- Worked with a confidence coach to challenge me, get me out of my comfort zone, and start putting in the work, focus, and plans to achieve my goals!
And just like that, I have a list of 29 big things that I did, saw, and learned before I turned 29. Sure, this list could be much longer than 29 because this past year has been a busy one, full of changes, tough moments, and sweet victories, but I think I’ll spare you from all of the minute details. Now that I’m thinking about it, I’ll add a #30.
- Passed 1,000 followers on Instagram and on my way passing 2,000! Thanks to each and every one of you for following along and for your constant support and love!
I think that life is and should be fun! If you take the time to appreciate all of the minute details, surround yourself with people/things/experiences that you love, and don’t take any of it for granted, life can be one rewarding and amazingly grand adventure! Cheers to being 29 and feeling (more than) fine!